’Tis the season for grand holiday parties! If you love hosting family and friends for holiday festivities, but have a limited budget, it can seem tough to keep expenses in check. But there’s no need to hold back on holiday spirit in order to save a little cash. We’re going to share 5 tips to save on holiday parties that are both festive and frugal.
5 Savvy Strategies to Save and Stay in the Holiday Spirit
- Go light on the grub. You may feel the need to provide a 3-course meal during your holiday party, but unless it is specifically a sit-down dinner party, feel free to scrimp when it comes to food. Appetizers, drinks, and/or sweets to nibble on are normally sufficient. Some guests may be thankful for the pared-down menu, as people are often bombarded with more food than they can eat during the holidays. Those trying to watch their weight or on special diets will also be thankful for fewer sources of temptation. Your grocery bill will also thank you.
- Make it a collective effort. Another way to save on food is to ask partygoers to bring a favorite dish. This takes the pressure off you and your wallet to provide all of the party food. Make it a global affair by asking guests to bring a dish native to their heritage. Or take a step back in time by having guests bring a holiday dish that they enjoyed as a child. Many people appreciate being able to participate and contribute to a potluck event, so no need to be apologetic.
- Save on party paper products. It’s possible to spend a lot on paper when it comes to holiday parties. That includes invitations, place cards, and disposable dinnerware and utensils. Cut some invitation expense by using social media to invite and keep track of your soirée attendees. Facebook Events is a great option for this purpose. Another option is digital or e-cards. Paperless Post has a fantastic selection of digital e-cards, including invitations, some of which are free. You can also use email to send out invites and receive RSVPs. Instead of buying disposable dinnerware that will just be thrown away, use your existing plates, or invest in holiday plates that can be washed and reused for years to come. Save a little by printing your own place cards, and laminate them so that you can write on them with erasable marker and wipe off for later use.
- Get creative with your decorating. No need to go all “Clark Griswold” when it comes to your decorating. Oftentimes, less is more when it comes to holiday decorations. Decide on a color scheme or theme, and decorate around it. For example, a nature theme can involve pinecones, cinnamon sticks, fruit, birds, and lots of authentic pine garland. Many of these items can be found at dollar stores or discount stores or bought on sale or using coupons. Buy items in bulk to save even more. If you are feeling crafty, head to the craft store, and make your own decorations. See something in a store that you like? Make it instead, and save some cash.
- Save some dimes on drinks. One of the most common ways to save on drinks is to buy boxed instead of bottled wine. Ask your guests to volunteer to bring their favorite alcoholic or non-alcoholic drinks (BYOB, anyone?). Keep alcoholic drinks to a minimum, opting for egg nog, sparkling juices, and apple cider, and you will save some change. Or mix up your own holiday drinks and cocktails, and use less expensive alcohol (or just less alcohol!). If you have guests with expensive tastes, look for reasonably-priced alternatives to expensive drink options.
When you plan ahead and put your thinking/saving cap on, it can be easy to enjoy the holidays without spending more than you need to.
Know someone who is hosting a holiday party? Help them to cut costs by sharing these tips with them.
Pier 1 Imports Can Help You Plan Your Holiday Party
Looking for inspiration for your upcoming holiday gathering? Pier 1 Imports becomes Cheer 1 Imports this time of the year, and they have everything you need to make your holidays happy. Pier 1 Imports is one of my personal faves all year long, but at Christmas, they have so many fun ways to make your season bright. Whether you are looking for Christmas décor, stocking stuffers, or supplies for entertaining, Pier 1 has the style and savings that you know and love.
Deck your halls with seasonal cheer when you shop Pier 1 Imports’ selection of dinnerware, drinkware, and table linens. Want to sport a cohesive holiday theme at your upcoming party? Shop Pier 1’s Complete Holiday Looks for decorating made simple. Need a little extra assistance getting in the holiday spirit? Check out Pier 1 Imports’ Holiday Planner, which is chock-full of great holiday ideas.
There’s so much to love about Pier 1 Imports, especially when you shop using your FreeShipping.com membership. Members receive FREE shipping, exclusive coupons and discounts, and 5% cash back. Not a FreeShiping.com member? Don’t shop online without it! Become a FreeShipping.com member today to enjoy savings upon savings all year-round.
Here’s to many festive and frugal holiday parties!