One of the best parts of the holiday season is the food. It’s no wonder we tend to pack on the pounds this time of year — tasty temptations are everywhere! Our favorite meals can provide some of the sweetest memories of holidays past. If you’re ready to whip up some of your family’s favorites this holiday season but want to save money in the process, we have some helpful tips.
5 Delicious Tips for Holiday Meals on a Budget
- Shop the sales. This is a no-brainer, but most of the items you will need for holiday meals may be on sale at local grocery stores. Take advantage of these slashed prices and start your holiday meal shopping early, utilizing the different weekly sales leading up to the major holidays to get everything you need.
- Ask for contributions. If you’re hosting dinner at your house, don’t feel shy to enlist others to give you a helping hand. Even if it’s not a potluck because you’ll be providing most of the meal, consider asking your family and friends to bring an appetizer, dessert, or drink. This can lessen the load on your kitchen and wallet.
- Stick with in-season. As you’re preparing fruits or vegetables for your holiday meal, you can save a pretty dime by using produce that is in-season and local to the region you live in. You will normally find these options on sale throughout the holiday season.
- Buy in bulk. Big holiday meals require lots of food, so you may be able to cut some costs by purchasing supplies in bulk. This is especially true regarding holiday baking necessities. You may find bulk items at your local grocery store, mass merchandiser, or warehouse store.
- Simplify your menu. Keep it simple this holiday season, and you will inevitably save money. Limit your offerings when it comes to appetizers, main and side dishes, desserts, and drinks. Remember that less is more, and offering too many options can lead to waste.
There’s no need to spend more on holiday meals when you plan ahead and follow these savvy tips.
FreeShipping.com will Help You Eat Well and Spend Less this Holiday Season
FreeShipping.com can come to the rescue when you’re seeking to slash your holiday meal expenses. When you sign up for a membership, you can enjoy 10% cash back, free shipping, exclusive coupons and discounts, and a search tool that offers you instant price comparisons on any item sold through our cash-back network of over 1,000 top online retailers.
Looking for cost savings and convenience this holiday season? You’ll get the best of both worlds when you utilize our registered retailer Peapod for all of your grocery essentials. It’s so easy to put Peapod to work for you — you order your groceries online, and they deliver them to your home or work. It’s that simple! Peapod can help you save time, money, and sanity at the holidays and all year long.
Remember when we talked about buying in bulk to save? Here’s your opportunity to do so. BJ’s Wholesale Club is a membership warehouse club that offers big savings on leading name brands. Whether you’re looking to stock your home with groceries for all those big holiday soirées or need some gift ideas, BJ’s offers wholesale club prices on all of your seasonal and household necessities.
Want to spread savings for this good season? Pass this blog post around to your family and friends!